What is Bancontact?
Bancontact is the most popular payment method in Belgium, it is widely accepted in physical stores and online. Bancontact enables merchants to receive payments from consumers through the use of credit and debit cards issued by any participating bank including KBC, Belfius Bank, Fortis Bank, Fintro, AXA Bank, CBC, ING Bank and VDK. When consumers open an account in any Belgian bank, they receive a Bancontact card that is linked to their current account.
Payments through Bancontact are real time transactions that are available for account holders of the participating banks. It is very secure, easy, and familiar for the consumers as it allows them to pay through their own bank. Adding Bancontact as a payment method helps merchants reach a significant portion of online shoppers in Belgium and increase their earnings.
How does it work?
When consumers decide to make a payment using Bancontact, they simply choose their preferred bank upon checkout. An online banking window, that the consumer is familiar with, will open and they will log in or enter their relevant bank information. They will then authorize the transaction with a PIN code, and the amount will be debited from the consumer's account and credited to the merchant's account.
- Secure payment processing. The consumer authorizes payment first.
- Allows for larger payments.
- Increase earnings by offering the best known payment method in Belgium.
- Target a market with numerous online transactions and high internet penetration.
- No registration costs or monthly fees.
- Available for all types of markets / stores.
- Trusted local payment method. The use of a PIN code prevents fraud.
- Local currency payment.
- Convenient, familiar, and simple process.
- No Paygol account needed.